7 Used Piano Care Tips Just For You
1) Have your piano tuned on a regular schedule. During the first year have at least four piano tuning and two yearly thereafter. Having it tuned more frequently in the first year will help the piano settle down quicker and also maintain its tune. New strings will stretch initially before settling down. Used piano or older piano need to be tuned at least one yearly. Your piano will stay in tune better if it is tuned to A+440 hz consistently. Your piano will perform better when it is properly tuned and you will have more enjoyment out of it.
By placing it away from the sun, there will be less temperature fluctuation and the sunlight will also fade the finish of your piano. Dampness will cause rust to the tuning pins and strings. Wood will expand thus causing sticky keys and fall in pitch. Placing piano near air vents, windows and doors will lead to the piano’s wood like soundboard, tuning block, bridges and case to dry out causing it to cracks.
3) Keep your piano’s exterior clean. Wipe and dust the piano’s surface with a clean cloth. Keys can be cleaned by using a dampened cloth which have been completely wrung out. Do not put drinks, fish bowl and flower vases on the piano. Keep all liquids away. Any spill will cause damage to the piano.
4) Never temper or touch the inner workings and actions of your piano. The actions, strings, dampers soundboard and other mechanical parts are highly sensitive and only allow a qualified piano technician to work on it. Never try to repair and also clean the inside of the piano. You may do some irreparable damage.
5) A constant temperature and humility level should be maintain inside the piano room. Since Malaysian weather is very humid, you should keep the heater on at all times. It not only maintain a constant temperature but also keeps the humidity down. Pianos need an environment with 42% humidity.
6) Pianos should be played regularly. By playing the piano regularly you will notice any irregularity. Small problems can be arrested early before it escalate into a big issue. By practicing you will realize your musical potential faster.
7) Get the service of a professional piano mover to move your precious piano. Do not move a piano on your own. It can cause harm to you and also you may damage it in the process. You should even hire a professional mover even if you want to move it to another room.
By following these tips, you can add years to your piano life. Following these tips will result in an exceptional piano of durable sound quality and also to avoid the high cost of major repair. Your will enjoy playing it more often and let the love ones enjoy the music as well. Keeping your piano in tip top condition will give you year after year of enjoyment, prolong the life of your instrument and avoid unnecessary repairs.